Friday, December 2, 2011

Physical Graffiti

I returned to the C––––––– & S––––––––– site today, having spent a few hours during my insomniac early mornings this week reflecting on what we had found at the factory. The ideas that I had were fairly easy to transform from idle reflection into physical reality, I suppose because I was working within the physical constraints already discovered during our first recce of the location. It was quick to do, yet pretty much fulfilled my expectations of what it would actually look like. I could probably photograph it more effectively with tripods, but made use of broken chairs and girder supports in the walls in their absence.

It is always fatal to term an item 'The first in a series..." - especially if you count the amount of piss up's I have actually managed to get off the ground in various breweries I have come across- but the insomniac hours did present me with that notion. The idea is to create installations utilising the raw materials of a given site, or just paint, in a variety of run down or wasteland areas throughout the D––––––– valley. Once a series of 6-10 is complete. their locations will be publicised as an unofficial art trail, which people can dip in and out of as they see fit. As nearly all the locations will be prohibited or restricted, and health and safety nightmares in their own right, the trail will, like the graffiti itself, be an underground activity. Sniff out these artworks- like people used to sniff out baksy's or invader's back in the day- or don't. The artworks do not depend on an audience. I fucking sick of trying to rouse audiences anyway- if it takes off, then it will do so on its own merit. The stuff is out there, you just have to go see it.

Once a few more are complete, I will facebook a page dedicated to the underground trail with full GPS locations and access tips...


Enjoy!







"Portal" (2011) ©Nick Hersey

No comments:

Post a Comment