Monday, November 7, 2011

My Public

The fundamental factor underlying my success here in Derbyshire as an artist is my public. My attitude has had a lot to do with it, my subtlety of presence and my ability to blend in surreptitiously- but the over arching detail that has dictated my creative impact on the midlands is my public. My public are generous, sophisticated, impartial, mildly ostentatious but suitably refined. My public have the individuality and iconoclastic artistic taste that my level of output requires. My public are dedicated, obsessive collectors of my work and followers of my various rambling expressions, be they photographic, written or other.

The only thing is my public do not know who they are yet. You see I havent told them- and they, bless them, are completely unaware that I even exist, let alone live in their rambling dale strewn county. I will of course tell them, but I am just waiting for the right moment. I don't want to scare them off you see, by being all Grayson Perry about it. I just want to- you know- saunter up to them, or near to them, and quietly nudge their consciousnesses into my general direction. A sort of existential 'ahem'. Then the rest of it, that whole first paragraph up there, that'll all just fall right into place.

I'm just waiting for the right moment.

Won't be long now, I can just feel it.



At least I think I can feel it. Yes. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment