Thursday, November 4, 2010

Best of the Worst...

As previously mentioned, the Frieze was a mixed bag indeed... however some elements did manage to shine, among the manure.

These typographic pieces were quite fun- the lazer cut aluminium here was notable much more for the medium and technique than for the message itself- marshal mcluhan would have been impressed more than I.

 The message here, however, engaged me a little more. Set in front of Broadway style lightbulbs set in a rough grid, the rusted type was an aesthetic object as well as metaphysical prospect. Quite fun, and has that essential humorour element why I so often crave...

Illustration- pure and simple... elevated to status of high art- quite common apparently now days, the artists seem to be hijacking the base methods which illustrators have been peddling for years. Whether this is done with an ironic twist (yawn) or genuine flattery in mimickery I know not and care less. Looked ok to me though.

More illustration as Art. Chuckle, yawn... Next!

 Now here's something else that tickled... a kind of Takahashi meets Man Ray, and such a proposition was encountered a few times that afternoon. Not entirely bad, though.

I think I only liked this because it reminded me of a double chair drawing I had done years ago. Again though, I feel the gimmicky strip/serial number at the bottom is something I would do, and I come here to have my eyes opened in awe and inspiration, not to think 'I would have done that'. Next!

 Nuff said...

One of my favourites, this. Does exactly what it says on the tin- but what does say on that tin, eh?

These too- concise, direct, funny, simple- 10 out of 10.


This was OK, a touchof Max Ernst, a smidge of Man Ray or someone, or was it just crap graffiti? Not sure

No comments:

Post a Comment